koha-devel

Re: [Koha-devel] koha 3.0 and accesskey

From: Owen Leonard
Subject: Re: [Koha-devel] koha 3.0 and accesskey
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2007 06:30:17 -0500

> Access keys mediated by JavaScript usually break web browser access keys
> even when the particular keys chosen are not otherwise conflicting.

Just a minor correction: the discussion at hand isn't about
JavaScript-mediated keyboard interaction. The discussion is of the simple
HTML-based "accesskey" attribute being applied to input fields.

This is not to say that similar drawbacks aren't present for HTML-based
accesskeys. Googling "conflicting access keys" will give you lots of food
for thought, including this:

http://www.wats.ca/show.php?contentid=32

I added these access keys to the rel_2_2 NPL templates long ago because I
recognized that in the context of our use, the access keys would be useful
and non-harmful. I think that if a non-language-based (-biased?) accesskey
scheme could be agreed upon, it would be more helpful than harmful.

Perhaps it wouldn't be impractical to offer the option of user-defined
access keys?

http://www.tjkdesign.com/articles/user_defined_accesskeys.asp

JavaScript-dependent, but possibly a worthy compromise. I haven't evaluated
this solution, I'm just pointing out that it's an option.

  -- Owen

--
Web Developer
Nelsonville Public Library