koha-translate

Re: [Koha-translate] About Koha translation site

From: Pablo A. Bianchi
Subject: Re: [Koha-translate] About Koha translation site
Date: Sat, 21 Nov 2009 18:57:59 -0300

Hi!

Some time ago I request to drop "es_VE", from translate.koha.org. Koha users (like José Parrella) from Venezuela agree with me (see mail below).

Is possible to delete "es_VE" (http://translate.koha.org/es_VE/ ) and leave only "es" (http://translate.koha.org/es/ )?

Thanks!
Pablo

2008/9/18 José Miguel Parrella Romero <address@hidden>
Pablo A. Bianchi escribió:
> - What about all those strings to translate are not in templates? How
> we will translate them? For example in DB, MARC field descriptions, or
> in XSLT filters (MARC21slim2OPAC*.xsl)

I recall seeing some strings in english being passed to the templates
from the Perl scripts directly; some of them even came from C4 libs.

> - The Spanish in Venezuela is very similar to the one spoken in the
> rest of Latin America and Spain, so there's no reason to have a
> "es_ES" and "es_VE". Indeed, we translate using standard Spanish
> (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard_Spanish). To avoid confusion,
> we suggest removing es_VE. I've talked with people of Venezuela, even
> those who worked with the National Library. They agree.

I agree. This is VERY important. Spain and Latin America are becoming
huge users of Koha, but the biggest users end up translating Koha
themselves. Ailé Filippi and me spoke with Pablo in Argentina last
August and we agreed to drop es_VE in favour of a proper es translation,
with a well-discussed glossary.

Jose