koha-zebra

Re: [Koha-zebra] CQL queries into MARC records (Was: .abs file and subfi

From: Sebastian Hammer
Subject: Re: [Koha-zebra] CQL queries into MARC records (Was: .abs file and subfield ordering)
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2006 12:42:24 -0500

Hi Paul,

I've developed a lot of systems for both end-users and professionals over the years. Unlike Mike, I don't believe there are really any circumstances where you'll want to let end-users loose with CQL, anymore than you do with SQL (let the query language flame wars begin).

If I were building a query interface for Koha for either type of users, I would use YAZ's CCL parser as the starting point. It is flexible enough to provide a basic query language that feels to most users like the google one, but it also is a naturally comfortable way for professionals to express arbitrarily complex queries. I'm *assuming* that Mike's API exposes YAZ's client-side support for CCL? Ortherwise, it should.

(CCL is an ISO/NISO standard which hasn't received much attention after the advent of forms-based web interfaces, but it's still a language that comes very naturally to most librarians).

Configuration info at http://www.indexdata.dk/yaz/doc/tools.tkl#CCL

For the default search, I typically use an 's=al' if I'm searching arbitrary targets.. this turns a list of words into an and-list, which typically provides similar responses to what the user expects.. it can be overriden by the use of "", in the way you'd expect. You specify preconfigured fields using field=someterm, similar to CQL. But I believe the vast majority of librarians (at least the ones I've met) would be happier FOR MOST PURPOSES with a comprehensive list of mnemonic index names than an ability to address MARC fields directly. Most librarians like MARC, but they're not fanatics.

The CCL parrser of course also supports truncation, paranthesises, and the use of boolean operators, all of which are configurable to allow for different languages (well, except the paranthesises). Even better, if you decide you'd like to search different targets at the same time as you search your local server, it is an easy matter to provide different configurations for each target to allow for different USE attribute mappings, search capabilities. In fact, the YAZ CCL parser is at the heart of every single metasearch solution we have deployed in the past 8-9 years or so, and it's proven really excellent for the job of tayloring queries to different, more or less cooperative targets.

There's presently no obvious way of directing searches directly at named subfields in CCL.

--Sebastian