koha-zebra

Re: [Koha-zebra] A few ZOOM::Package questions

From: Mike Taylor
Subject: Re: [Koha-zebra] A few ZOOM::Package questions
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2006 11:39:54 GMT

> Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2006 08:44:05 -0800
> From: Joshua Ferraro <address@hidden>
>
> Just got a few questions about ZOOM::Package:
>
> In the documentation, the example listed is:
>
> $p->send("createdb");
>
> I'm assuming this is a typo and the actual service
> type is just 'create' ... right?

Yes!  Thanks for spotting this, I've now fixed it in CVS.

> Will ZOOM support the 'drop' send() method at some point?

ZOOM already does support it; the problem is that Zebra doesn't --
there's a known bug whereby that call corrupts the registers.  So
until that's fixed (and it is on the list), which you _can_ send a
"drop" request from ZOOM, you'd better not!  :-)

> What are the case scenerios where the 'commit' method would be
> useful?

When using shadow registers in Zebra.

> What is the xmlupdate method? :-)

Don't know -- that's one for Adam to answer.

> We're trying to figure out when it would be useful (if ever) to use
> recordIdOpaque and/or recordIdName. The only reference to them I can
> find is here: http://www.indexdata.dk/zebra/NEWS where it says:
>
> "Allow Remote insert/delete/replace/update with record,
> recordIdNumber (sysno) and/or recordIdOpaque(user supplied record
> Id). If both IDs are omitted internal record ID match is assumed
> (recordId: - in zebra cfg)."
>
> Could someone provide a couple case scenerios where these would be
> used?

I've not heard of "recordIdNumber" before, but I am guessing that it
just means "the unique ID of the record, as extracted from the record
itself using the rules specified in the Zebra configuration".  As you
know, every record in a Zebra database is identified by a, uh,
identifier.  That can either be drawn from the record itself (which
is probably what you want when adding MARC records that have IDs in
them), or you can specify an ID explicitly when you add the record.

I don't know about case scenerios -- again, Adam would have a better
handle on that.

> When would it be useful to populate the databaseName option?

Always, when creating or destroying a database.

> Isn't that already provided by the $conn object?

No.  You might have a connection pointing at one database, and want to
create or destroy a different one.

> or can we connect to multiple databases in that object and then
> specify which one we want the specific package operation to be
> performed using that option?

There's no "connect to multiple databases" functionality in ZOOM, no.
(What would such functionality mean?)

> Finally, no mention is made of the record update 'syntax' option in
> the ZOOM documentation. Is it supported? if so, what are the valid
> values?

Sorry -- again, I don't know.  Adam's yer man.

/o ) \/  Mike Taylor  <address@hidden>  http://www.miketaylor.org.uk
)_v__/\  "I wrote `Microsoft's a monopolist' and the New York Times wanted
         to edit it to say, `Microsoft is innovative'" -- Steve Wozniak
         on writing for the NYT.