l4-hurd

Re: Future Direction of GNU Hurd?

From: Dr. Arne Babenhauserheide
Subject: Re: Future Direction of GNU Hurd?
Date: Sun, 13 Sep 2020 23:32:07 +0200

Paul Boddie <paul@boddie.org.uk> writes:

> I'm not questioning your decency, although it almost seems like you want me
> just for the mock outrage opportunity.

Please take note that this is how your actions appeared to others.
Dismissive and judgemental of the needs of current contributors.

>> Obviously, if someone else can do that with an L4 kernel, or anything
>> else, I'd be delighted, and that's why I'm still following this list.
>
> So why did you seek to close down discussion? Do not claim that you only
> meant
> to reference a singular Hurd-on-L4 implementation by such a remark. As far as

As context: Trying the L4-switch hindered and delayed development a lot
in the past. Anyone wanting help in trying it again therefore needs to
show that this is actually viable.

> it is another to actually curate resources that allow people to find
> these things without spending days of their own time doing so

One the one hand this is true: Curated resources make it easier to work.
On the other hand, the current contributors aren’t the best people to do
that, and curating resources takes a lot of time that then cannot be
spent for their own development tasks.

In short: Yes, there’s a need for that. Are you the one who will take it
up to curate the resources without breaking what already exists?

Best wishes,
Arne
--
Unpolitisch sein