latex-manual-discuss

[Latex-manual] latex-manual project shutting down

From: Brady Hunsaker
Subject: [Latex-manual] latex-manual project shutting down
Date: Sat, 20 Apr 2002 10:12:30 -0400

Hi Mary,

I found out yesterday from the FSF that a free manual for LaTeX has
almost been completed by a TeX Users Group in India.  The FSF
considers the urgent need satisfied and recommends that we turn our
attention to other projects.  I've attached the mail I received.

Personally, I'm going to turn my attention back to some free software
projects in my area of work: operations research.

Unless you object, I'm going to tidy up the project files (in case
anyone does want to use something from them) and indicate that the
project is stopping.  I'll also remove the homepage link so that you
don't have to continue to host the page.

The (other) manual is at www.tug.org.in/tutorials.html

Brady

--- Begin Message --- Subject: assign latex-manual copyrights to FSF Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2002 18:54:49 -0400 User-agent: Mutt/1.3.25i
Dear Brady,

Sorry to take so long to get back to you, but your letter started a
long chain of events and it kept me a little busy until now.

Basically, the Indian TeX Users Group has completed a freely
distributable version of a LaTex manual.  Some members of the Indian
TUG are also members of our sister organization FSF-India.  They will
be printing the manual this summer for sale in India, and we will
receive some of those books for us to sell in the US.

So, basically we at the FSF consider this critical need satisfied for
now, and wish to direct our volunteers to other programs and projects
that do not have freely distributable documentation yet.

Would you be interested in documenting some other subject?  There are
many projects to choose from.  If you truly have your heart set on
LaTex, then I would like to work with you to direct your project to a
different focus than the existing manuscript, to help fill a void.  An
example would be how to use LaTex to self-publish a newsletter or
other such application-type walk-though manuals.

If you would like to view the current doc, it is located at:
http://www.tug.org.in/tutorials.html

Please note that I was told that there is still final editing to be
done, and another chapter will be added focusing specifically on math
layouts.

Best Regards,

Lisa M. Goldstein           address@hidden
Managing Editor, GNU Press
Business Manager,           Tel 617-542-5942
Free Software Foundation    Fax 617-542-2652

FSF Copyright Assignment Clerk <address@hidden> wrote:
> This person wants to revive the LaTeX manual project and wants it
> to be GNU.  I assume that means RMS needs to talk with him.
>
> - Brian

> Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2002 21:33:10 -0400
> From: Brady Hunsaker <address@hidden>
> To: address@hidden
> Subject: assign latex-manual copyrights to FSF
>
> Hi,
>
> I was given this address by Toby Cabot.  I recently revived a project
> hosted on Savannah to write a LaTeX Manual (latex-manual).  The one
> other developer and I would like to assign our copyrights to the FSF.
> We'd also like to know the process for helping future developers do
> the same.
>
> The project is not currently listed by Savannah as part of the GNU
> project, though the intent of the original developer was clearly to
> make it so (including assigning copyrights to the FSF).  I have
> already contacted gnu.org about making it officially part of the GNU
> project.  I don't know if this matters.
>
> Please let me know how we can assign our copyrights to the FSF and
> whether we need to wait for the project to officially become GNU.
>
> Also, I have a question about licensing.  I hope to change the
> project's license from the current three paragraphs that I've seen
> referred to as "Texinfo permissions" to the FDL.  The original
> developer lists the copyright as FSF, which suggests that there should
> be no problem.  However, he included as an appendix content from
> separate documentation that is also released under "Texinfo
> permissions".  This documentation lists its copyright as both FSF and
> an individual.  My understanding is that this individual's copyright
> should therefore apply to our document as well, and we need his
> agreement if we want to switch licenses (unless we remove the
> appendix).  Does this sound correct?  If I should address this
> question elsewhere, please let me know.
>
> Thanks very much for your help,
> Brady

> Brady Hunsaker
> Georgia Institute of Technology
> Program in Algorithms, Combinatorics, and Optimization
> School of Industrial and Systems Engineering
>
> E-mail address:   address@hidden

--- End Message ---