libcdio-devel

[Libcdio-devel] libcdio 0.71 breaks vcdimager 0.7.20

From: R. Bernstein
Subject: [Libcdio-devel] libcdio 0.71 breaks vcdimager 0.7.20
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2004 06:43:03 -0500

Due to my ineptitude at not breaking interfaces, both the libcdio 0.70
and libcdio 0.71 release caused some breakage in vcdimager 0.7.20.

As a result, there have been various workarounds for projects that
want vcdimager. I know for example in vlc they have a patch to the
vcdimager 0.7.20 source for the breakage in caused by libcdio 0.70. In
Mandrake Cooker, Goetz Waschk (at perhaps my suggestion) has make a
copy of what is in vcdimager CVS. (The name used is
"vcdimager-0.7.21-0.20041121.1mdk" which was selected because it would
less than the first "official" release "vcdimager-0.7.21-1mdk".)

Nicolas Boullis has offered suggestions as to how I could modify the
current libcdio to make it more compatible with vcdimager 0.7.20. This
would include declaring 0.71 broken (well, I guess by some definition,
it *is*), and in addition to work for purely compatibility (at the
expense of keeping some of the old ugliness), there was an indication
that some regression would take place. I'd prefer to move forward than
backwards (especially if there is work on my part involved). I realize
this will put a bit of burden on packagers and users, but I'll try to
do better in the future.

Anyway, unless we can release an official vcdimager 0.7.21 soon, what
I'd like to do is release an interim version under libcdio on
ftp.gnu.org. If such is to happen, I'm open to suggestions as to what
name to give it to make it compatible with packaging, whether to make
a new CVS branch in vcdimager (as has been done in the past) and so
on.