libcdio-devel

[Libcdio-devel] FreeBSD driver seems to be broken

From: Jonne Lehtinen
Subject: [Libcdio-devel] FreeBSD driver seems to be broken
Date: Wed, 24 May 2006 21:59:47 +0300

Hello,

I've been trying to make a CDDA plugin for XMMS2 and have had some
success too, mainly on linux. I asked a co-developer to test it on
FreeBSD 6.1 and we ran into a lot of trouble.

Currently the wall that's preventing us from continuing is broken
CDIOCREADAUDIO macro (I think)...

We get this output from xmms2d when trying to play a CD..

DEBUG: src/xmms/xform.c:576: Plugin 'cdda' matched
DEBUG: src/plugins/cdda/cdda.c:134: Trying to open device /dev/acd0,
using ioctl access mode.
DEBUG: src/plugins/cdda/cdda.c:148: Opened default CD device.
Checking /dev/acd0 for cdrom...
CDIOCREADAUDIO: Inappropriate ioctl for device
CDIOCREADAUDIO: Inappropriate ioctl for device
CDIOCREADAUDIO: Inappropriate ioctl for device
CDIOCREADAUDIO: Inappropriate ioctl for device
CDIOCREADAUDIO: Inappropriate ioctl for device
CDIOCREADAUDIO: Inappropriate ioctl for device
CDIOCREADAUDIO: Inappropriate ioctl for device
CDIOCREADAUDIO: Inappropriate ioctl for device
CDIOCREADAUDIO: Inappropriate ioctl for device
CDIOCREADAUDIO: Inappropriate ioctl for device
CDIOCREADAUDIO: Inappropriate ioctl for device
CDIOCREADAUDIO: Inappropriate ioctl for device
CDIOCREADAUDIO: Inappropriate ioctl for device
CDIOCREADAUDIO: Inappropriate ioctl for device
DEBUG: src/plugins/cdda/cdda.c:158: Unable to open disc

After a little googling I found that CDIOCREADAUDIO was remove around
2002-2003 from freebsd and there's supposedly better alternative for
reading raw audio from CD.
I also found this:
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-current/2004-April/025206.html

The problem may also be in my code: http://www.saunalahti.fi/~jukka712/cdda.c
(doesn't compile on its own, requires xmms2-devel build environment)

We're using libcdio 0.77.

- Jonne Lehtinen