libcdio-devel

[Libcdio-devel] Re: libcdio release roadmap

From: Thomas Schmitt
Subject: [Libcdio-devel] Re: libcdio release roadmap
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2010 19:13:57 +0100

Hi,

> The next release seems like it is going to change the API quite a
> bit with Thomas Schmitt's changes.

But i hope i did not break anything yet.

> http://freshmeat.net/projects/libburnia/releases/311319  . This release has
> the ability to use the libcdio code that Thomas put in assist in writing and
> setting/respecting locks on drive access.

To switch to use of libcdio as command transport
  ./configure --enable-libcdio
  make clean ; make

Command
  cdrskin/cdrskin -version
should then report something like
  System adapter    :  sg-libcdio h83 with libcdio 0.83git x86_64-suse-linux-gnu

This needs an installed libcdio from git which
is younger than January 17 2010.

> Possibly there will be better DVD and Blu Ray
> support too.

The problems i have seen with DVD and BD are
in part in my Linux kernel and in part in
CD-ROM legacy of libcdio.

The kernel is not able to apply certain ioctls
to BD media.
libcdio's table-of-content is based on this
address structure
  struct msf_s {
    uint8_t m, s, f; /* BCD encoded! */
  }
and thus cannot express more than 100 minutes
which is about 1 GB of data.

One would need new API functions which rely
on MMC inquiries rather than operating system
functions. They should allow many sessions,
tracks, and large block addresses.

Have a nice day :)

Thomas