libcdio-devel

Re: [Libcdio-devel] Add support for new arch 'ppc64le' in "libcdio" upst

From: Rocky Bernstein
Subject: Re: [Libcdio-devel] Add support for new arch 'ppc64le' in "libcdio" upstream package
Date: Mon, 23 Dec 2013 03:40:02 -0500

Thanks for the clarification and making the test. I honestly wasn't totally
sure what you were talking about.

It doesn't seem wise to make a release to switch to something that it is
alpha or even beta. More prudent is to wait until the libtool changes go
into the general release, and even then, wait a little bit. That seems to
be the strategy of distributions using this package.

When enough changes occur to warrant a new release (or a potentially severe
problem as in the case of 0.91) ,  I'll use whatever is the *current* released
libtool to build the tarball. In fact, I had to update the version of
automake to the latest version because the GNU site wouldn't take the
automake versio, version 1.11, that comes with Ubunutu 12.04.3 LTS due to a
security vulnerability.

So Instead,  I recommend building off of what is in git at some particular
point in time. The 0.92 release is tagged release-0.92, but you can decide
if there are future changes if you want to use those.

I gather all of the tests (run with "make check" or if you have Ruby
installed "make check-short") work? If you have different kinds of CD
medium in your CD/DVD drive(s) additional tests get run; have you've tried
those tests as well? If not, it would be good to do so to before the next
libcdio release. Lately, we've been releasing about once a year.

Working off of the source, you can use whatever version of libtool you
choose since that is not in git. Or do as is found in many distributions
releases of libcdio: write a patch and specify the patch in your packaging
mechanism such as in an rpm or deb spec file. When the patch is to the
libcdio code, please remember to pass that along so it can be included in
the next release.

Thanks.