libcdio-devel

[Libcdio-devel] Fast-fail / quick timeout read support

From: Bryan Barnes
Subject: [Libcdio-devel] Fast-fail / quick timeout read support
Date: Sun, 14 May 2017 22:23:20 -0400

Hello,

Are there any capabilities from libcdio to perform “fast fail” reads?

For example when reading a sector if the drive encounters an error, to
basically immediately abort that command and become available again?

Are there any ways to do this without libcdio? I have tried using sdparm to
set the read retry count to 0, but it stills appears that various layers
are either retrying or have long timeouts.

I am working on an application where speed is more important than integrity
in some cases, and when reading a disc that may have some minor damage it
would be better to just quickly error on the bad sectors and move on in the
same time it would take to read a good sector.

Thank you,

Bryan