liberty-eiffel

Re: [Liberty-eiffel] Closures

From: Cyril ADRIAN
Subject: Re: [Liberty-eiffel] Closures
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2013 09:37:02 +0100

2013/11/20 Paolo Redaelli <address@hidden>
Yesterday I was going to instinctively answer that we should strive to eradicate side effects, as I was always convinced that "side effects are evil (TM)".

Side effects are not evil. What's evil is client-visible side effects in queries. Java's iterator is an example of such evil. OTOH data caching is OK.

Of course one has to be able to change the state of an object; that's what commands are for.

I don't understand what you are saying about twin and is_equal. They are certainly bound to the rule, otherwise you cannot write contracts!

As for the compiler, it usually adheres to the rule (no counter-examples come to mind but they may exist). Performance is allowed :-)

Cheers,

Cyril ADRIAN (from office)
To any NSA and FBI agents reading my email: please consider whether defending the US Constitution against all enemies, foreign or domestic, requires you to follow Snowden's example.

Get a signature like this. CLICK HERE.