liberty-eiffel

Re: [Liberty-eiffel] Newbie questions

From: Raphael Mack
Subject: Re: [Liberty-eiffel] Newbie questions
Date: Mon, 07 Jul 2014 20:51:23 +0200

Hi Joe,

first also a warm welcome from my side!

Am Montag, den 07.07.2014, 13:24 -0400 schrieb Joe Abbate:
> On 07/07/14 03:03, Cyril ADRIAN wrote:
> >   * Non-conformant inheritance syntax: ISE uses inherit {NONE} while
> >     Liberty Eiffel uses insert
>
> That bit me already.  I'm not sure why ARGUMENTS is an expanded type.  I
> have to read the Typing_policy to better inform myself.

Why should it not? You can either insert it (see
tutorial/print_arguments.e) or use it as local variable. Creating
instances of this class on the heap is not useful for anything, is it? -
Even less e. g. passing references to it around.

> Ahh ... There goes my multi-user DBMS ... I guess it'll just have to be
> single-user now <grin>.

You may use cooperative multitasking if you want - see sequencer lib and
examples. But yes, using several cores is not possible...

> >   * Liberty Eiffel does not provide an IDE; but there is an emacs mode :-)
>
> I'm using it already, although it's also not being maintained.

mh, I think Cyril added some feature recently - see work/eiffel.el in
the Liberty git repo...

> What is perhaps most confusing is the status vis-a-vis SmartEiffel.  I
> know you guys converted its wiki, so there's still a lot of references
> to it which presumably you haven't had time to clean up.

You got it. Many pages are tagged with "SmartEiffel" which essentially
means, that it is not yet checked and adapted to liberty.

> But the
> original project's website still exists, even though it hasn't been
> updated for seven years, but there's no clear "hey, we're not
> maintaining this anymore".

This is true, but not in our area of influence. @Dominique, are you
still on this list? - Would you mind adding a note to the SmartEiffel
website?

Kind regards,
Rapha