liberty-eiffel

Re: The future of Open Source Eiffel

From: Louis M
Subject: Re: The future of Open Source Eiffel
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2021 20:00:25 -0500

Hello all.

My two cents here.

I don't know about everyone else, but the reason I program in Eiffel is because I find it fun. And having followed a lot of Open Source project in my life, what I have found is that  a project is always alive, as long as there is a community that support it.

When I discover Eiffel, like 10 years ago, I looked at ISE Eiffel and Smart Eiffel. I did adopt EiffelSoftware because it was the easiest solution to use at the time (it still is) and that it was Open Source software (it still is, but yeash). Now that ISE Eiffel seems to be closing doors to an Open Source and openly accessible software, I I do understand that I choose the wrong compiler to put all my effort.

What I want now is an Open Source solution that is committing to Open Source and with a great (even if small) community. I don't really care about what solution we use: Liberty, Gobo, a fork of EiffelStudio, etc. I turn to Liberty Eiffel because as the official GNU Eiffel compiler, what happens with Eiffel Softare should never happen, now or in the future. Also, I think that everyone that wants a Free and Open source Eiffel suite should work together to make it the better solution possible.

So, if we want to talk about the future of an Open Source version of Eiffel, we should first decide which one we should go with. Personally, I don't care. I will follow the community; as long as it is committed to Free and Open Source software.

Good day to all,

Louis M