liberty-eiffel

Re: Libunicode

From: Eric Bezault
Subject: Re: Libunicode
Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2022 13:35:22 +0100

On 07/01/2022 11:49, Paolo Redaelli wrote:
Perhaps the time is ripe to provide "modern" base classes: rename old STRING as ASCII_STRING and make STRING deferred, handling handle UNICODE, with UTF-8, 16 and 32 implementations, even if this means to use a C library underneath :)

I think that it is more or less what is done in EiffelBase.
The old STRING is now STRING_8. Your deferred class STRING
is actually named STRING_GENERAL, and unicode strings
are implemented with class STRING_32 (search in O(1)). And
in EiffelBase STRING is an alias (not an actual class) which
can point to legacy STRING_8 or to modern STRING_32 (even
though some exiting libraries will not work in the latter
case). The support for UTF-8, UTF-16 and UTF-32 is then
achieved with an helper class UTF_CONVERTER to interface
with external (non Eiffel) interfaces depending on what kind
of unicode encoding they expect. As far as I know there
is no C library underneath, just pure Eiffel code.

About documentation, this is what I found on eiffel.com:
https://dev.eiffel.com/Category:Unicode
Not that much information, but it's better than nothing :-)

--
Eric Bezault
mailto:ericb@gobosoft.com