liberty-eiffel

Re: [bug #61531] Error when compiling and running ncurses tutorial examp

From: Patrick CLOAREC
Subject: Re: [bug #61531] Error when compiling and running ncurses tutorial example menu.e
Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2022 12:18:28 +0100

Right, the analysis is not finished, I have to dig in ncurses and XPG4 spec to ensure we are doing the right things.

I've been very busy for the last weeks, and I am still busy, so I just wrote down my findings before the next step : finding the correct references to ensure a correct interpretation.

Actually, the "maximum coordinates" issue is an obvious problem in ncurses, but there are more issues in dealing with subwindows. Moving a window does not move its subwindow, moving a subwindow leads to a duplication of its content....

As far as I know, "curses" find its origin in System V and is specified by the Open group (https://publications.opengroup.org/standards/unix/c610), and ncurses (https://invisible-island.net/ncurses/) is supposed to be compliant with it. I presume ncurses is quite flawed for some features (and some comments on the internet show I am not the only one), and it is sometimes closer to a Pandora box than to a library.

For this specific bug, the solution I suggest seems to be enough, but I wouldn't try to have a full text window library relying on ncurses.