libmicrohttpd

Re: [libmicrohttpd] libmicrohttpd 0.9.71 released

From: Frank Ch. Eigler
Subject: Re: [libmicrohttpd] libmicrohttpd 0.9.71 released
Date: Thu, 9 Jul 2020 13:13:31 -0400

Hi -

Christian Grothoff wrote:

> Furthermore, the release introduces an 'enum MHD_Result' instead of
> #defines for MHD_YES/MHD_NO. This is intended to make it easier to check
> for certain API misuse bugs by providing better types (not everything is
> an 'int').  While this does NOT change the binary API, this change
> _will_ cause compiler warnings for all legacy code -- until 'int' is
> replaced with 'enum MHD_Result'.

This breaks the build of all clients that use CFLAGS=-Werror.

> [...]
> That said, this being a security release it may be a good time to not
> build nicely against older versions.

It is not unusual for distros to backport security fixes into older
versions.  I would not expect these to backport this enum change too.

In the future, it would be better to preserve the API, and maybe add
new named functions instead of this sort of thing.  Not breaking
existing users is important.

- FChE