libreboot-dev

[Libreboot-dev] potential target(s): intel d945gclf(2)

From: Arthur Heymans
Subject: [Libreboot-dev] potential target(s): intel d945gclf(2)
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2016 21:32:41 +0200

Hi

I think the Intel d945gclf is a potential target for Libreboot.
This board features:
- cpu: intel atom n230 single core but hyperthreaded
- 1 ddr2 memory slot
- 945gc northbridge with Intel graphics (similar to x60)
- ich7 southbridge
- 2 sata ports
- a 10/100 Realtek lan chip
- 4 external USB ports
- VGA display connector
- ...

This boards is already in coreboot, which works better than the vendor bios
which
simple cannot boot from HDD's I own.
SATA does not work in coreboot but with this simple patch inspired by
ga-g41m-es2l southbridge configuration: https://review.coreboot.org/#/c/16319/
it works fine.

What was tested and works: USB, SATA, Display (with vbios), No
microcode, Ethernet, ...

What was tested and does not work: suspend.

What was not tested: PATA (probably works with patch), Display without
vbios (does not work), ...

What is left to be done is to write a native graphic init for vga on
i945. This would also benefit x60/t60/macbook21 users who will be able
to have grub output on either VGA or intergrated LVDS.
Since there are already 2 native intel vga inits in coreboot (x4x,
pineview thanks to damo22) I think this should be doable.

A small issue is that the flash is quite small 512KiB, so grub wont fit
in there but Seabios works fine and boots very quickly.

Finally the intel d945gclf2 is almost identical to d945gclf except for
cpu (dual core hyperthreaded), more usb ports, 10/100/1000 Realtek port. It is
likely
that this board also works with little to no changes in coreboot.

Kind regards
--
Arthur Heymans