librefm-discuss

Re: [Librefm-discuss] Fwd: Welcome to the "Librefm-discuss" mailing lis

From: Dan Brickley
Date: Mon, 1 Feb 2010 17:51:47 +0100

+cc: Libby Miller

On Mon, Feb 1, 2010 at 5:15 PM, Matt Lee <address@hidden> wrote:

>> Okay, well I have to admit to having fallen out of touch with the
>> project. Any chance of a brief summary of the state of the project?
>
> Sure.
>
> At the present moment, we have:
>
> 17,878,745 listens.
>
> 3,147,167 unique tracks.
>
> 23,457 users.

Nice :)

How much of this is cross-linked with MusicBrainz IDs?

Do you have any data-driven measures of artist similarity yet? Is this
at the stage where we could nudge eg. student projects towards the
data? Talking of which, how do people get at the data? What feeds /
formats are there currently?

(I did a little light searching before asking this, but couldn't find
the answer...)

> We have a working server for accepting 'scrobbles' from various clients,
> as well as support in several free software clients.

If users were watching video (my current project is TV oriented), does
this fit into the libre.fm picture at all? Is there a working
assumption of audio-only? Of music-only? How are things scoped
currently?

> This support ranges from the ability to change the hostname for the
> scrobble server (VLC, Rhythmbox) to being able to choose Libre.fm as a
> destination for your scrobbles (ZOMG, Quot Libet).
>
> In addition, there are many other projects which are adding support --
> http://www.google.com/codesearch?q=turtle.libre.fm&hl=en&btnG=Search+Code is
> a good indicator of some of them.

Nice :)

> Nixtape, the website front end has also improved somewhat. I am now
> happy with the simple design of it, and we have seen it working
> reasonably well on netbooks and phones. A specific CSS for mobile
> devices is something I would like to add in the coming week.
>
>> Goals for the coming months, etc?
>
> Fix streaming -- Jamendo's Ogg streams are broken, and attempts to get
> them fixed have not been useful. They are having some financial
> troubles, I believe.
>
> I would like to investigate the possibilities of getting someone else
> with an interest in libre music, such as Creative Commons, to help us
> out by hosting all the CC-BY and CC-BY-SA music from Jamendo, in Ogg
> format, for streaming.

Do they have plans to be a kind of 'net broadcaster? the bandwidth
bills can't be fun...

> Get more developers -- we're coming up on a year of development, things
> are a little quieter than they were at the start, but we do have a lot
> of the initial goals of the project implemented, live and being used by
> a lot of people -- that said, it would be great to implement some new
> features: better import from Last.fm (using the new export API), improve
> artist pages and implement tags.
>
> Donations are always welcome too -- we have upcoming domain renewals and
> SSL registrations to pay for -- PayPal donations to address@hidden
> are welcome :)

Thanks for the update!

cheers,