librefm-discuss

Re: [Librefm-discuss] Libre.fm as the central place for obtaining free

From: Jon Spriggs
Subject: Re: [Librefm-discuss] Libre.fm as the central place for obtaining free music
Date: Sun, 28 Feb 2010 00:49:20 +0000

Hi Matija,

This idea is a really good one, and I'd love to see this working. Like
your description of yourself, I'm not much of a coder (well, at
anything beyond simple
pull-stuff-from-a-database-then-make-it-look-pretty), but I can see
the merits behind it. Because the music doesn't actually belong to
libre.fm, I suspect this is why there may be issues with putting the
download links straight into the API, however, if we could get buy-in
from labels such as Jamendo, then I guess the first thing to do is to
break this into parts.

1) Add an extension to the API which provides an index of torrent and
magnet links. This is non-intrusive - it doesn't affect the current
API at all, and is purely an additional function we can call.

This part is programatic, and should contain no politics

2) Ask Jamendo (for example) to make their bittorrent indexes
available to libre.fm - add this data to the existing GNUkebox store
of data about these tracks and albums

This would require buy-in from Jamendo and the Libre.fm project to
confirm whether they want to progress down this path.

3) Amend existing clients to add this functionality (that is, query
the API for bittorrent/magent links; add a button to the client
reflecting this status; on-click, trigger the launch of the bittorrent
client of choice using the link supplied by the API). It should be
noted that this is in-line with StatusNet's reuse of the twitter API,
adding extensions to it reflecting the support provided by the
extended functions of the StatusNet codebase which has had very little
(if no?) detriment to the support for twitter applications. If
Libre.FM clients can be upgraded to permit the integration of several
different bittorrent downloaders, then this can only be positive! :)

Hope this helps some other people on the project
--
Jon "The Nice Guy" Spriggs LPIC-1 Certified