librefm-discuss

Re: [Librefm-discuss] Libre.fm as the central place for obtaining free

From: Jon Spriggs
Subject: Re: [Librefm-discuss] Libre.fm as the central place for obtaining free music
Date: Sun, 28 Feb 2010 19:57:11 +0000

On Sun, Feb 28, 2010 at 7:26 PM, Matija Šuklje <address@hidden> wrote:
> Dne nedelja 28. februarja 2010 ob 01:49:20 je Jon Spriggs napisal(a):
>> Because the music doesn't actually belong to
>> libre.fm, I suspect this is why there may be issues with putting the
>> download links straight into the API, however, if we could get buy-in
>> from labels such as Jamendo, then I guess the first thing to do is to
>> break this into parts.
>
> As I said in a previous reply, I don't see a problem since we're handling free
> music under (strong) copyleft licenses -- when using e.g. a(ny) CC license,
> you
> don't need permission to share the work in its verbatim form (unless NC
> applies and you're using it for a commercial cause).
>
> But I'll double-check on it, just in case.

Just to confirm, I'm not saying it *can't* be done, or even that it
*shouldn't* but just that there might be issues. I should also add,
I'm not intimately familiar with Jamendo or the LibreFM project, and I
wrote this very early in the morning before I went to bed and I'm
tired even now - I might be missing something important and I just
wanted to cover myself!

<snip>

>> This would require buy-in from Jamendo and the Libre.fm project to
>> confirm whether they want to progress down this path.
>
> Are you sure? Why? O_o

It's always easier to say before-hand "We're considering doing this,
will this cause your label any issues? Is there anything we can do to
make this great for all of us?" than afterwards saying "What do you
mean, you're closing down because you've lost all your advertising
revenue?" Also, it's great discussing this idea on the list but if
it's not in the roadmap of where librefm is going, then we're wasting
bits.

>> 3) Amend existing clients to add this functionality (that is, query
>> the API for bittorrent/magent links; add a button to the client
>> reflecting this status; on-click, trigger the launch of the bittorrent
>> client of choice using the link supplied by the API). It should be
>> noted that this is in-line with StatusNet's reuse of the twitter API,
>> adding extensions to it reflecting the support provided by the
>> extended functions of the StatusNet codebase which has had very little
>> (if no?) detriment to the support for twitter applications. If
>> Libre.FM clients can be upgraded to permit the integration of several
>> different bittorrent downloaders, then this can only be positive! :)
>
> I don't quite follow what this has got to do with StatusNet (ex Laconi.ca).
> Could you kindly explain it a bit more?

This was purely a comment about the fact that StatusNet extended the
TwitterAPI which (as far as I know) hasn't broken any of the Twitter
clients that point to the StatusNet servers in the same way that I'd
imagine extending the API used by any LastFM clients pointing at the
LibreFM servers shouldn't break them either. Again, any poor wording
should be blamed on the hour I was writing the original e-mail :)

All the best,
--
Jon "The Nice Guy" Spriggs LPIC-1 Certified