librefm-discuss

Re: [Librefm-discuss] Libre.fm as the central place for obtaining free m

From: Blaise Alleyne
Subject: Re: [Librefm-discuss] Libre.fm as the central place for obtaining free music
Date: Tue, 02 Mar 2010 00:16:27 -0500

----- Original message -----
> Dne ponedeljek 1. marca 2010 ob 07:04:37 je Matt Lee napisal(a):
> > Let's not forget that free songs are often copyrighted, but that
> > Libre.fm will never be allowing nonfree materials for download.
>
> Well, to be strict, all songs with a known author are copyrighted. Free/libre
> songs are only licensed then with a copyleft license on top of that.
>
> What did you have in mind here then? Free as in beer songs that are not
> subject to any free/libre license?

You can "uncopyright" a song by releasing it into the public domain (e.g. CC0 waiver), and there are non-copyleft free licences (e.g. CC BY). I think Matt was just trying to clarify that it's not "copyrighted" music that would raise legal issues, rather it's the free versus non-free (libre) distinction that's relevant.

It's not quite accurate for us to say "copyrighted" when we really mean "non-free," but I think we all knew what you meant. Good to be accurate though.