librefm-discuss

Re: [Librefm-discuss] Some thoughts about the librefm theme

From: Lincoln de Sousa
Subject: Re: [Librefm-discuss] Some thoughts about the librefm theme
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2011 11:29:36 -0200

Excerpts from Lincoln de Sousa's message of Thu Jan 06 12:37:16 -0200 2011:
> Excerpts from Matt Lee's message of Wed Jan 05 17:58:27 -0200 2011:
> > On 01/05/11 12:41, Lincoln de Sousa wrote:
> > > Hello there,
> > >
> > > Some days ago, I've rediscovered libre.fm and, obviously, I found it
> > > amazing again :)
> > >
> > > But, looking at the current layout and the road map, I had some ideas
> > > that I'd like to share with you. I started to work in some wireframes to
> > > demonstrate what I'm thinking about librefm interface. I'm trying to
> > > make it as simple as possible, but also suggesting some new features.
> > >
> > > My first try was the Profile page [0]. I'm proposing a two columns
> > > layout for this page. One, with the most important info, like user data,
> > > "now playing" and last listened entries. In the other column, I've
> > > suggested to add features like a box to reach the player page, instead
> > > of using a new entire page, a box with avatars of friends and a list
> > > with last dents made by the user (if he/she fills the statusnet info, of
> > > course).
> > >
> > > Another thing I started to work on was the settings page. It's the place
> > > that the user sets all information about {him,her}self. It's usualy
> > > dangerous to use tabs to separate things in a layout, but I've tried to
> > > use it to organize different types of settings that a user can fill in.
> > >
> > > It is very important to know if I'm following the right path and if I
> > > should continue to work on it.
> > >
> > > Thank you very much for this nice software. it would be a pleasure to
> > > help you on it :)
> >
> > I like this a lot.
> >
> > It would be amazing to have you work on the site.
>
> hehe, let's rock!
>
> > What I propose is a two stage process:
> >
> > 1. Let's get a really awesome theme for GNU FM made up.
> > 2. Let's get that theme styled for the Libre.fm brand.
>
> It's nice to me :)
>
> > To this end, we should consider getting something like dev.foocorp.org
> > up with a copy of GNU FM from git, pulling in themes from Lincoln's work.
>
> Agreed. It's good to have a place to show our work to the world. It can
> increase the number of feedbacks and help to improve it.
>
> > Lincoln: I have a couple of questions for you.
> >
> > 1. Are you in the US and over 18 years old? We can get the ball rolling
> > and get assignment forms sent out to you ASAP.
>
> Hehe, I'm 24 but I'm from Brazil, quite far :)
>
> > 2. Are you familiar with working with git at all?
>
> Totally. I use it in my daily job in all softwares I work on.
>
> > Best,
> >
> > matt
>
> Cheers,

So, I've started to work on the layout and here[0] is my first try. As
mentioned above, I started from the profile page. There are some general
considerations that I'd like to make about things I've done. Here they
are:

 * Footer sucks

 * I have used colors from Pablo's svg but in the way I did it, it's
   very close to last.fm. In my opinion we should work a bit more on it
   and maybe change these colors.

 * The search form drives the user to a detailed search page and he/she
   will be able to choose which kind of data should be shown (users,
   tags, songs etc).

 * Player shortcut is too simple. Maybe we should do something to make
   it more interesting to the user.

 * Two very important things in the sidebar (my friends and my dents)
   depends on external connections that is not so usual to users to
   setup. We have to find a way to make it really simple and easy to
   understand.

Now, I'm planning to work on the listen page and on the user settings
page. All of this work is following that wireframes that I shown
before. These wireframes are being created with Pencil[1]. You can find
png's here[2] and the `Source' file here[3]

Feedbacks are very much appreciated :)

[0] http://comum.org/~lincoln/librefm/profile.html
[1] http://pencil.evolus.vn/
[2] http://comum.org/~lincoln/librefm/doc/*.png