librefm-discuss

Re: [Librefm-discuss] New Here - Have Some Questions

From: Matt Lee
Subject: Re: [Librefm-discuss] New Here - Have Some Questions
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2012 21:04:03 -0500

On Wed, Jan 11, 2012 at 8:42 PM, Darryl G. Wright
<address@hidden> wrote:

> I am new to Libre.fm and was inspired to sign up when I heard that
> Last.fm were SOPA supporters. I like the idea of scrobbling to a free
> and open server anyway. On the downside, I was disappointed to see
> that there wasn't much 'mainstream' support for scrobbling to
> libre.fm. I did install "Simple Last.fm Scrobbler" which is the only
> Android scrobbler which supports libre.fm (oddly). That got me going.

There's plenty on GNU/Linux, less so on Android and a little bit on
Windows and OS X.

> So my 1st question is:
>
> 1) Why doesn't the Android implementation of Libre.fm support Libre.fm
> scrobbling?

There's no Android implementation of Libre.fm, but there is a simple
app created for listening to the streams. Very little development has
been done on this yet.

> 2) I was unable to find any documentation on the libre.fm API or how I
> might go about writing my own scrobbler for libre.fm - where is it?

We support the Audioscrobbler API, up to version 2.0 I believe.
http://www.last.fm/api is the reference for that.

> 3) Activity on a lot of the libre.fm sites seems to have gone stale -
> is this project dead?

GNU FM is not dead, but we could be more active. Work is being planned
for some significant upgrades, and I am working on a new design to try
and fix some of the usability problems as I see them.

> 4) Can someone point me to a "How to implement Libre.fm scrobbling in
> your client" doc?

Hmph. Not to my knowledge, but maybe ZOMG will be a good thing to look
at. ZOMG is a fairly simple scrobbler and radio player written in zsh
by one of our lead developers, Clint Adams.

> Keep up the good work - I look forward to helping out.

Thanks, please consider running your own GNU FM server too, as the
more servers out there, the sooner can work on federation :)