librefm-discuss

Re: [Librefm-discuss] What does freely licensed on libre.fm mean

From: Franko Burolo
Subject: Re: [Librefm-discuss] What does freely licensed on libre.fm mean
Date: Fri, 8 Dec 2017 15:30:30 +0100

01.12.2017 u 18:53, Meikel je napisao/la:
Hi folks,

on the website http://libre.fm I find the statement

"All the music on Libre.fm is freely licensed for you to stream, download and remix."

and I'm wondering what it means exactly. Would the licensing allow to run an internet radio station with music downloaded from libre.fm i.e. from "my loved music"? Or would that violate the licensing?

Regards,

Meikel

It would most probably not violate anything. But if you want to be sure, you can check the licensing for every particular song. If I am ot mistaken, the music on Libre.fm is streamed directly from Jamendo. Album pages on Jamendo will tell you the exact license for a particular release, and it also offers further legal info, should you need it.

All tracks on Jamendo and streamed on Libre.fm are released with a Creative Commons license. The only restriction for your internet radio station that comes to my mind is if you are making money through your show, as some of the tracks have a "Non-Commercial" (nc) clause. In that case, you should contact the rights holders (in free culture, it is usually the artists themselves), and ask for permition. If it is not for money, than you are completely set up, for sure, as all CC licenses allow non-commercial public broadcast, as long as you are giving correct artist credits, of course.

So basically, if that's a non-commercial radio/show that only broadcasts finished, unmodified tracks, you can broadcast the tracks freely. If you plan on making some money out of it, or remixing some tracks, or both, you should check the licensing terms on the track/album page on Jamendo, or wherever the source is, before you do it.

For more information on Creative Commons: https://creativecommons.org/

Hope that helps.

Franko