libreplanet-ca-on

Re: [lp-ca-on] Email providers friendly to FOSS

From: Blaise Alleyne
Subject: Re: [lp-ca-on] Email providers friendly to FOSS
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 2016 11:37:28 -0500

On 12/01/16 11:06 AM, Reid Ellis wrote:
> On Tue Jan 12 2016, at 10:41 , Rudolf Olah <address@hidden> wrote:
>> What's the recommendation for email providers? I'm trying to rip off the
>> Google band-aid this year

Do it!

I think my 2012 degooglifying email post is still somewhat relevant:
http://blaise.ca/blog/2012/01/27/degooglifying-part-i-email/

But I didn't really talk about providers, because I'm running my own mail
server.

The mail server software selection is easy to choose:
- Dovecot (IMAP)
- Postfix (SMTP)
- SpamAssassin, OpenDKIM, DNS SPF records, Postgrey, ClamAV

But I prefer to use management software to help setup and do most configuring,
because it's too easy to screw up something important. I make configuration
tweaDovecot/Postfix

I'm (still) using Virtualmin, though I was just asking about other options
recently:
https://status.blaise.ca/conversation/70949#notice-70949
https://identi.ca/balleyne/note/NZLJusV9QZ-2bkcpkJiCcg

Virtualmin (GPL version) still works. It just feels a bit odd to use as a
standalone mail server, which is what I'm planning to try in the near future...

I'm planning to test these though before deciding whether or not to stick with
Virtualmin:

http://modoboa.org/en/
https://github.com/nning/moeil
http://www.iredmail.org/

In terms of service providers though, I've heard freedom-minded folks mention
RiseUp.net, but last I checked, storage space was pretty small. I still prefer
to manage my own server for privacy too...

PRISM Break lists RiseUp.net and a few other providers:
https://prism-break.org/en/all/#email-accounts

Following the links in that section leads to some interesting discussion too
(news to me), e.g.

http://www.prxbx.com/email/

https://github.com/nylira/prism-break/issues/461

> Mailpile looks interesting - https://www.mailpile.is - it’s AGPLv3. See
> also https://github.com/mailpile/Mailpile
>
> It’s not really a provider, but at least it’s a Free Software web front-end
> for
> an existing mail server.

Yeah, just a webmail application.

I've been watching Mailpile intently, plan to try it soon. I'm currently using
Roundcube for webmail, which is okay, but wouldn't use it as a primary email
client.

There is/was a big crowdfunding for Roundcube Next. It sounds... a bit too
ambitious though... like, "turn Roundcube into a platform" kind of bloat and
scope creep... but that was just my first reaction. I'm keeping on eye on that
too.

I prefer IceDove/Thunderbird as my primary email client, adjusting to K-9 now,
and typically I only use webmail as a backup/alternate.