libreplanet-ca-on

Re: [lp-ca-on] Proposed Proof of Concept Tax Calculation

From: Greg Knittl
Subject: Re: [lp-ca-on] Proposed Proof of Concept Tax Calculation
Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2016 20:57:52 -0400

Hi Daniel,

There's not much info on the democamp page or http://www.websred.com/
You would have to contact the company directly. It would certainly be interesting to review their design but it's not advertised as open source. It would be interesting to know if they have developer agreement with the CRA and what the terms are. I'm not sure why they would be motivated to help us. We might be potential competitors... If we can crowd source the T1, it ought to be possible to crowd source the R&D reporting... I'm in Toronto not Hamilton. But if you can think of a way to approach them, then go for it.
We need all the allies we can get.
I would be more curious about other Libre Software tax packages around the world.

I haven't had any response from the CRA on getting the developer agreement so I have to follow up on that. It may end up taking a concerted effort just to get the agreement to review. Then I expect the terms of the agreement will be problematic.
How can free software possibly restrict users to 20 returns/per computer?
The CRA would have to implement that restriction from it's end. How would they even
do that? The CRA doesn't give out Net File codes any more...
When the user has complete access to the source code they ought to be able to spoof any identification system. Perhaps every user that wants the source code to the CRA interface code has to also complete the CRA developer agreement... How would we know if people are CRA developers or not? Is the CRA going to tell us? How would this fit with the GPL? The software will be gratis. Users could just put it on multiple computers. I'm hoping it will be low resource and suitable for Raspberry Pi or less. I don't know what the CRA is thinking but it doesn't seem very libre. We need to get the developer agreement.

Greg