libreplanet-ca-on

Re: [lp-ca-on] Meeting tonight at 9:00pm (Sat, 24 Sept 2016)

From: Bob Jonkman
Subject: Re: [lp-ca-on] Meeting tonight at 9:00pm (Sat, 24 Sept 2016)
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2016 13:40:57 -0400

In Saturday's meeting we were talking about the lack of
standardization in medical software, if not the lack of medical
software itself.

This morning I ran across this article from the BBC;

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-37439221

> Google Deepmind: Should patients trust the company with their
> data? By Jane Wakefield Technology reporter
>
> Google's artificial intelligence unit DeepMind is getting serious
> about healthcare - with ambitious plans to digitise the NHS - but
> first it needs to convince patients to hand over their medical
> records.
>
> Back in February, it began work with the Royal Free to create an
> app to help doctors spot patients who might be at risk of
> developing kidney disease.
>
> The first most knew of the partnership was when it emerged some
> months later that it would be accessing 1.6 million patient records
> as part of the deal.
>
> That led to some pretty negative headlines and questions from some
> of the patients involved as to why they had not been informed their
> data was being used in this way.
>
> The app - dubbed Streams - is now under investigation by the
> Information Commissioner's Office (ICO) while the National Data
> Guardian, which is tasked with safeguarding health data, is also
> looking at it.

[...]

> Mr Suleyman spoke at length about a patient portal that would be
> accessible to both patients and doctors and available on their own
> smartphones.
>
> It would allow doctors to search a patient's entire medical history
> in chronological order before they arrived at their bedside.
> Patients may be able to input their own data, for example, if they
> suddenly had a change in their condition or experienced problems
> after an operation.
>
> The plan shocked some audience members who had not spoken out
> earlier.
>
> "What was astounding to me, was the sense of entitlement that this
> commercial company clearly feels to access NHS patient medical
> records without consent and that many in the room seemed to have
> accepted that unquestioningly," said Jen Persson, a co-ordinator
> from campaign group Defenddigitalme.

[...]

At some point I'd like to discuss the issue of non-free, proprietary
software used in the medical field. Perhaps this is something we can
undertake (lobby for, write code for) when the tax preparation project
has run its course.

- --Bob.

On 2016-09-24 09:05 PM, Greg Knittl wrote:
> coming
>
> On 16-09-24 08:58 PM, Bob Jonkman wrote: In two minutes it will be
> time for the Mumble meeting. Anyone else joining in today?
>
> --Bob.

- --

- --
Bob Jonkman <address@hidden>          Phone: +1-519-635-9413