libreplanet-ca-qc

Re: [Libreplanet-ca-qc] BSD extremist tango down

From: Michael Faille
Subject: Re: [Libreplanet-ca-qc] BSD extremist tango down
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2012 13:31:28 -0400

On 04/24/2012 12:21 PM, Michael Faille wrote:
BSD extremist tango down
https://plus.google.com/u/0/111985137075069724005/posts/japAzb8Q6t4

BSD Licenses on the rise

Which license do you prefer to use, and why?
Peter William Lount originally shared this post:
BSD rules the open and really free license wasteland!!!

"An analysis of software licenses shows usage of GPL and other copyleft licenses declining at an accelerating rate. In their place, developers are choosing permissive licenses such as BSD, MIT, and ASL. One theory for the decline is that GPL usage was primarily driven by vendor-led projects, and with the shift to community-led projects, permissive licenses are becoming more common."

http://developers.slashdot.org/story/12/04/22/0211251/open-source-project-licenses-trending-toward-open-rather-than-free
19 comments
Jean-François Mourgues1:30 AM
because it can be embedded in privating software like Apple's ?
i like BSD, buut as a freedon suppoter, I think that's bad news
Wes Peters3:29 AM
I like BSD, as a freedom supporter, I think that's GREAT news. When you've written working software, do you want to hoard it in the "free" crowd, or make sure it gets used in everything?

Yay for the copycenter.
Jean-François Mourgues10:01 AM
+Diane Bruce Mac OSX is a mix betweed OpenStep and Mach kernel wraped into a BSD implementation. Most of the ingredients are free software, but the result is not. They could not use this kind of trick with GPL license. I wish they release a free version of their product one day. That would be a real contribution to the community. The rest is gossip.
Michael Faille10:18 AMEdit
LGPL protect community and help compagny.
Michael Faille11:32 AM (edited)Edit
GPL3 doing a very great job with Samba3 for example.

EDIT : Apple use samba3
Diane Bruce11:55 AM
+Jean-François Mourgues I am well aware of what Apple has in their OSX product. You are still wrong about it being harmful to the FREE software movement.
Diane Bruce11:57 AM
It's obvious the GPL fanbois have found us! RUN! Do not bother lecturing me or trying to convince me, we will never ever agree. OK?

I will say this. If you really want to protect your code from The Man then dual licence it. Free for hobbyists, $$ for business. It's that simple. The GPL has turned into a horrible idea from its simple beginnings.
Michael Faille12:07 PM (edited)Edit
+Diane Bruce No, GPL3 protect Samba. It's just bad for the Linux kernel (GPL2).
Give me some explanation.

Note : BSD licence is great ;-)