libreplanet-dev

Re: [Libreplanet-dev] Fwd: fsf groups extension patch

From: Peter
Subject: Re: [Libreplanet-dev] Fwd: fsf groups extension patch
Date: Wed, 1 Apr 2009 06:17:39 +0000

On Tuesday 31 March 2009 18:39, you wrote:
> (Your reply didn't keep the list in -- adding it back again, and leaving
> the full text quoted here so others can see)
>
> Peter <address@hidden> writes:
> > On Friday 27 March 2009 20:19, you wrote:
> >> (Can you make sure when you reply that you keep the list in?)

> >> Wouldn't it make more sense to package these up as extensions and get
> >> them distributed along with other extensions? That way, other people
> >> might contribute to maintaining them, and they would at least have a
> >> chance at being part of the upgrade path. I'm sure the extension system
> >> changes from time to time and breaks things?
> >
> > Yes, but so far one one is enthusiastic about them, but if Libre Planet
> > (conditionally) approves them, I will do that. I agree the API may
> > change.

> >> Okay, I'm sorry to continue being dense about this, but I need a *short*
> >> example that demonstrates what these functions do. It would help a lot
> >> to see a concrete example of something that is hard to do with default
> >> Mediawiki that these functions solve. I am getting closer to
> >> understanding I think, but not quite there :).
> >
> > whew, examples are hard to explain, but I'll try. A visual demo is far
> > easier.
> >
> > Take the SessionSchedule page as an example. The schedule provides
> > several events which are subpages to SessionSchedule, such as
> > SessionSchedule/LFP, SessionSchedule/SchoolsAndLibraries, and many
> > others.
> >
> > Now we see mysql can't cope with long names so we want to shorten
> > SessionSchedule to LP09Events. The problem is that the current mediawiki
> > will allow us to move SessionSchedule to LP09Events, but all the subpages
> > will still be 'subpages' of SessionSchedule. The only solution is to move
> > each page individually without typing errors.
> >
> > What we really want to do is move SessionSchedule _and all its subpages_
> > to LP09Events. My functions will allow you to move SessionSechdule to
> > LP09Events and SessionSchedule/LFP and
> > SessionSchedule/SchoolsAndLibraries and all pages starting with
> > SessionSchedule. So in one move we have renamed many pages and can now
> > access LP09Events/LFP, LP09Events/SchoolsAndLibraries.
> >
> > If at some later point we decide to merge LP09Events into LibrePlanet, we
> > can simply multi-move LP09Events to LibrePlanet/LP09Events - and all
> > LP09Events subpages will be moved too. Now we can access
> > LibrePlanet/LP09Events/SchoolsAndLibraries.
> >
> > Again, if we decide we no longer want LP09Events pages, we can
> > multi-delete LibrePlanet/LP09Events - and all its subpages. So not only
> > will
> > LibrePlanet/LP09Events be deleted but so will LibrePlanet/LP09Events/LFP
> > and all the others, such as LibrePlanet/LP09/LFP/Comments/...,
> > LibrePlanet/LP09Events/SchoolsAndLibraries/...
> >
> > Since we do not know exactly what subpages have been created for
> > SessionSchedule, it is currently hard to know whether we've moved them
> [...]

I stunned, want me to say more?

*Admins* don't want subpages, but *users* do. *Admins* think the page name
must be the title, but *users* don't. *Admins* don't want extensions, *users*
do. Admins are swimming upstream, not the users. I think the Manchester group
will be *really* upset because they have been successfully using subpages for
their meetings for years.

I will go through the Libre Planet conference pages created by FSF staff, as
an example of what I mean.

The use of subpages is not my idea, mediawiki developed it, the Manchester
group use it, so did whoever created the libreplanet2009 schedule, and the
OpenConference page!

The three tracks (HPP, NFS, and Active) are all subpages hard linked into the
OpenConference subpage. Someone else, during the course of the meeting, moved
the speaker list to another subpage and added another hard-link. Some of
these people show more wiki skills than I have and, I assume, grew up in wiki
culture.

So, the first time Libre Planet used this wiki to organize a meeting, there
were people who instinctively used subpages because the content suggested it.
When you look at the LibrePlanet2009 pages, you see an organized arrangement
of content and a flow of information from the most general at the top page,
to specific detail at the bottom subpages.

I never did that, but its how rational people work. My proposal helps them
work this way more easily. For example, at the bottom of the OpenConference
page, you'll see a 'sub-pages' section. This does the same job as the hard
links, but avoids editing the page each time subpages are added, deleted, or
renamed/moved. They change nothing other than save work and look ugly ;).

Whoever created the schedule page clearly understood this was related to
LibrePlanet2009 and therefore made it a sibling subpage of OpenConference. So
now you have the conference guidelines in OpenConference and the actual
activities in OpenConferenceSchedule as sibling subpages of LibrePlanet2009.

Initial LP page structure:

LibrePlanet2009
LibrePlanet2009/OpenConference
LibrePlanet2009/OpenConference/Track1..N
LibrePlanet2009/OpenConferenceSchedule
LibrePlanet2009/OpenConferenceSchedule/user1..X
LibrePlanet2009/OpenConferenceSchedule/speaker1..Y

Anyone who arrived at LibrePlanet2009 would now be given a choice of info -
guidelines or events. The schedule first presents an overview and then links
to more specific subpage events. These in turn direct the visitor to
individual comments. The visitor can now travel back up the parent links to
LibrePlanet2009 and select OpenConference.

[aside remark]
PROBLEM: The visitor cannot travel down subpages, but only up to parent ones
because the wiki only provides parent links. It shows page linking is a wiki
function, not an editor's.

SOLUTION: Add the subpage link function to the wiki, so it will now provide
both links to parents and subpages.

WORKAROUND: Let editors do this manually, or try and categorize the pages.
This will lead to link rot, category overload, and inconsistent browsing.
[/aside remark]

Again, this was not my idea, no-one asked me about this, it just happened. The
problem with OpenConferenceSchedule is that it has been moved to a root page
and doesn't explain anything about the schedule. Frankly, whether the page is
called

LibrePlanet2009/OpenConferenceSchedule,
LibrePlanet2009/OpenConference/Schedule, or
OpenConferenceSchedule(LP09)

it has not changed the content one bit. It is still the LP09 schedule.

What the move did is brake the relationship between itself and all other LP09
pages, prevented the wiki from linking up the pages for the user to browse,
and, worst of all, failed to show admins where the other pages are. I see no
advantage in doing that.

Instead of going into further detail (I did, but deleted it), I will simply
say that the content of the FSF Groups wiki is structured and will benefit
users and admins when they are allowed to subpage as the content demands it.
This is particularly true for meetings, but also for High Priority Projects,
and several other subjects.

When the LP pages were created, I expected to see root pages scattered
everywhere, but the use of subpages reassures me that we're going in the
right direction and the only restrictions I see are technical ones. However,
the wiki should work for users, not users for the wiki. Perhaps on other
sites, using subpages and extension features is swimming upstream, but here,
I see it as going with the flow and I hope you now do, too.

We can categorize and use namespaces equally well with or without subpages and
extensions. However, neither the Manchester group, nor Libre Planet staff,
have thought to avoid subpages, probably because it is harder to figure out
how to do it. They did so without any extensions whatsoever. The extensions I
propose only automates the tasks editors and admins are already doing with
subpages.

The extensions do not fundamentally alter the standard wiki's behaviour, but
complement the existing subpage features. Using the extensions are optional,
they are not embedded into every page, so installing them won't automatically
change all the pages. Users need to learn about them and decide if they like
them, and if not, simply not use them. The only reason I am proposing them is
because I found the need when I came to manage my own subpages.

While we can live (for a short time) without the extensions, I believe the
wiki will become unmaintainable if we ban using subpages. We use subpages
because it enables us to connect related pages together without burdening
either the user or webmaster with trivial link edits. Categories index pages,
namespaces reuse page names, subpages relate page *content*, and links
connect pages. They all have a purpose and using one feature to replace
another will, imho, lead to missuse, abuse, and ultimately confusion.

wikipedia is using dozens of bots to control link rot, and similar things, and
still has many admins doing nothing but page cleanups. They're involved in
name page disputes on a regular basis, edit wars, and the like. We, however,
are running a well defined wiki for LP members to promote free software, not
for the public to edit and link to with complete abandon.

Other group packages provide specific functions and nothing else. Just because
our wiki is not so constraining simply means we have to impose the
constraints for the benefit of all members. But making arbitrary decisions,
that go against what users see as useful, doesn't work for me.

Regards,

Peter