libreplanet-dev

[Libreplanet-dev] spam and anti-spam measures update

From: Ian Kelling
Subject: [Libreplanet-dev] spam and anti-spam measures update
Date: Wed, 06 Sep 2017 20:30:06 -0700

Hi. I recently joined the fsf tech team. I fixed up some spam we were
getting on libreplanet.org over the past month or so. I also put some
measures in place to prevent it. Thing's that you may be interested to
know:

* The api is disabled. If you want to use it for any reason, just ask
  and we can re-enable it on a trial basis. The spammers were using it
  in bad ways and we would turn it off if they did again.

* Rate limits have been adjusted. I don't expect anyone to hit it in
  normal usage. So if you hit it, please send a message here because it
  would be good to know. We can also give users admin to exempt them. If
  you get a 500 error and you've been making a lot of edits, that is
  probably a rate limit. They are on several hour long intervals.

The fsf tech team will be regularly checking for spam at least every few
days. If there are any known good editors who notice spammers, I'm happy
to give them admin so they can block the spammers.

I've also made sure the fsf tech team are all subscribed to this list
so we will be more responsive here.

--
Ian Kelling | Senior Systems Administrator, Free Software Foundation
GPG Key: B125 F60B 7B28 7FF6 A2B7  DF8F 170A F0E2 9542 95DF