libreplanet-dev

[Libreplanet-dev] Exciting new changes for the LibrePlanet Wiki

From: Valessio Brito
Subject: [Libreplanet-dev] Exciting new changes for the LibrePlanet Wiki
Date: Fri, 4 Oct 2019 17:08:32 -0400

Hello LibrePlanet Community,

I'm Valessio, a free software activist since 2000 and the current
campaigns team intern at the Free Software Foundation (FSF). Earlier
this year, I had the opportunity to participate in an FSF internship
with the [technical team][1], developing my skills and learning a lot
of cool things about libreboot and about using free software for
education, through using [MusicBlocks][2]. After my internship was
completed, I continued to collaborate actively with FSF. One of these
collaborations was on the development of the new Respects Your Freedom
(RYF) hardware product certificate Web site, which will launch soon.

[1]
https://www.fsf.org/blogs/sysadmin/introducing-valessio-brito-intern-with-the-fsf-tech-team
[2]
https://www.fsf.org/bulletin/2019/spring/fsf-teaches-free-software-to-public-school-youth

Now I am back in the FSF office, this time to work with the campaigns
team on improving the LibrePlanet site (powered by [MediaWiki][4]),
and assist in preparation for the [2020 LibrePlanet conference][5]. I
also made this year's [LibrePlanet conference logo][6]. I hope you
like it!

[4] https://libreplanet.org
[5] https://libreplanet.org/2020
[6] https://static.fsf.org/nosvn/libreplanet/2020/assets/logo.svg

This email is intended to start a discussion and get people excited
about making improvements to the way we use MediaWiki for LibrePlanet.
I have a lot of ideas, and I can't do everything myself. I would like
to invite you to participate, or to forward this email to someone who
wants to start (or continue) collaborating with the free software
movement.

I have drafted a new theme for the first phase of my work on
LibrePlanet.org, and it is now [available here][7] for comments,
critiques, and suggestions.

[7] https://libreplanet.org/wiki/Libreplanet-theme-mediawiki

After changing the layout, ideally, the Web site pages will be
restructured to make navigation more intuitive for documenting and
leveraging future collaborations. In this process, we will also filter
out outdated pages. This is where I will need your help! We want to
create a lasting structure, and for LibrePlanet to be a success, we
need to be sure that the new structure is right. I made a proposal to
[reorganize the LibrePlanet pages][8] for you to comment on  as well.

[8] https://libreplanet.org/wiki/Libreplanet-nav

You are welcome to collaborate to help us create an excellent resource
for free software activists all over this (Libre)Planet. Let me know
if you want to join in the project! I look forward to working with
you, and hope I will see you at the conference!

Cheers,

Valessio Brito
Campaigns team intern