Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Best E-reader to buy

From: Rudolf
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Best E-reader to buy
Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2011 18:53:26 -0400

The only problem with reading off a laptop screen is the fact that pages aren't that wide and you're constantly scrolling just to finish a single page. If there's a way to prop up a 4-6lbs laptop, please let me know! :-P

Have you checked the ACM Digital Library for recent human-computer-interaction papers or some similar SIG (special interest group) that they have?
-Rudolf O.

On 10 September 2011 18:29, Ted Smith <tedks@riseup.net> wrote:
On Sat, 2011-09-10 at 12:30 +0200, Dirk wrote:
> I own a Thinkpad t61 14", but it isn't very pleasant to sit on the bench
> and read a book with it... I think the advantages of a ereader or tablet
> are pretty obvious. Also, are those glasses for digital reading really
> an improvement, and is there scientific proof for it? I just installed
> Redshift, thx for noticing.

I've been reading A Clash of Kings (the sequel to Game of Thrones, a big
long fantasy book) on my laptop using nothing but evince and redshift,
and I have no problems with it. The only thing I could want is slightly
better scrolling via space/backspace (like Readability has), but that's
minor.

The glasses aren't for reading so much as prolonged monitor use. They're
marketed towards programmers and video game players. Apparently they're
popular in "major league gaming." They've been great for me -- they're
great at preventing headaches and have totally eliminated the eye strain
I used to have. That said, I don't know of anyone getting a grant to
publish an evaluation of them in a peer-reviewed journal.