Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Free software replacements to Dropbox?

From: Quiliro Ordóñez
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Free software replacements to Dropbox?
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2011 09:34:22 -0500

On 23/09/11 07:51, Anthony Papillion wrote:

Hi Everyone,

So I'm working at putting together a 'cloud at home' type of solution
where I move all my current hosted solutions to a home server. So far,
I've been able to replace everything except Dropbox. As a compromise,
I've been using Ubuntu One but I'd really like something that hosts my
data locally but makes it accessible over the web.

Would you please post your proceedure? I would like to do that too. I think my ISP blocks incomming port 25 and outgoing port 80. It also changes my public IP every so obten.

  I'd also really
like it to be free software or at the very least open source.

Free software is almost the same as open source software but the intentions of both movements are very distinct. Free software reaches for freedom. Opensource reaches for cheap, good software. The free software movement wouldn't mind to loose a little bit of temporary functionality or pay more to be free. The opensource movement wouldn't mind to loose a little freedom in order to pay less now or to have better quality software. Freedom takes strength and persistence but it is worthwile in the end.

--
Quiliro Ordóñez

"No se puede sacrificar la libertad por ningún bien, por ninguna promesa de pan o de paz o de justicia, porque ese pan tendría amargura de veneno, esa paz sería de muerte, y esa justicia no sería justicia humana ni tendría sentido." Alfredo Pérez Guerrero

"Não se pode sacrificar a liberdade por nenhum bem, por nenhuma promessa de pan ou de paz ou de justiça, porque esse pan teria amargura de veneno, essa paz seria de morte, e essa justiça não seria justiça humana nem faria sentido." Alfredo Pérez Guerrero