Re: [libreplanet-discuss] libreplanet-discuss Digest, Vol 41, Issue 7 -

From: arthur_torrey
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] libreplanet-discuss Digest, Vol 41, Issue 7 - Laptop fix
Date: Tue, 14 May 2013 08:15:49 +0000 (UTC)

In my limited experience, the biggest gotchas are memory issues, power supply
problems hard drive failures and heat...

1. Heat - when was the last time you opened up the case on the laptop and
cleaned out all the dust and crud?  This may be all it is, as the crud can
(rarely) cause intermittent bad connections, but more importantly can cause
parts to overheat and go into thermal shutdown...

2. Memory - Memtest86 is probably the most thourough tester for memory out
there - and is included on most distro CD's as a boot option, set it up to do
the most rigourous testing and let it run for multiple iterations...

3. Hard drive - defragging and re-organizing the drive is probably a good place
to start, but don't really have a good suggestion for solid diagnostics,
especially ones that are non-data damaging.

4. Power supply - does the failure pattern change depending on whether or not
you are plugged into the wall?  Certainly worth looking at the battery
condition, especially in a unit that age.

As a general diagnostic and repair tool I also recommend SystemRescueCD
<http://www.sysresccd.org/SystemRescueCd_Homepage> which is a GNU/Linux based
distro specifically designed for system testing and repair - good tool...

ART

Arthur Torrey - <arthur_torrey@comcast.net>

Message: 1