Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Trying to build a 100% free desktop computer /

From: David Loyall
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Trying to build a 100% free desktop computer / home server to the BIOS level; help needed
Date: Tue, 28 May 2013 15:22:38 -0500

On May 28, 2013 10:53 AM, "Harry Prevor" <habstinat@gmail.com> wrote:
>[...] I'm basically trying to build the most powerful
> personal computer possible (within reason) that's compatible with 100%
> free software.
> [...]

Harry,

Bless you, you've started work on a project that I envisioned indepentently this weekend.  :)

I had recently reviewed the list of motherboards supported by Coreboot and I was happy to see that there are many items in the list.  I am sorry to hear that few of them are recent devices--I hadn't realized that.

Is it possible that some newer generations of older motherboards are supported but untested?

In my case, I will be using the machine I build as a headless server, so fortunately I won't have to worry (as much?) about GPU issues.

I intend to use OpenFirmware as well.  (OFW is used on the OLPC XO-1; I have one of those.)  I hear that I can boot OFW as a coreboot payload.

Anyone: what is a good location (like a wiki) to post the results of my research?  I don't move fast enough to use reddit.  I expect that it will be Fall in the northern hemisphere before I have selected my hardware and started installing a free BIOS on it.  (This is a leisure project.)

Thanks, cheers, and keep it up!
--Dave