[libreplanet-discuss] HTML5 DRM protest blackout?

From: Bart Kelsey
Subject: [libreplanet-discuss] HTML5 DRM protest blackout?
Date: Thu, 30 May 2013 15:35:07 -0400

Apologies if someone else has already mentioned this idea, but if not I figured it might be a good idea to toss it out there and see what people think.

Should DRM happen to get into the HTML5 standard over the objections of the EFF, FSF, and reasonable people everywhere, it might be beneficial to stage a protest similar to the SOPA blackout, wherein we convince large websites to make themselves unavailable for one day to any web browsers that support the new standard, with an explanation that this is what the web will eventually be like for users who have browsers that *don't* support DRM.

If such a protest is already planned, I'd be interested to know who is organizing it, so I can get my own website (OpenGameArt) involved.  If not, I'd be willing to help spearhead the effort.

Bart Kelsey
http://opengameart.org