Re: [libreplanet-discuss] TurboCash

From: Adam Bolte
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] TurboCash
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2014 09:46:15 +1100

On Mon, Jan 20, 2014 at 11:47:38AM -0600, David Loyall wrote:
> There was this non-free game for PC called Descent, back in the mid
> nineties.  (It wasn't called a non-free game back then, it was just
> called a cool game!)  At some point, the source was re-licensed as
> free software, but not the artwork, and the build depended on non-free
> compilers.  For a year or so, folks who had access to those compilers
> were releasing binaries, new builds of the game, and all along they
> were also working to make it build under gcc.  Long story short: they
> eventually succeeded and many derivative projects have been created,
> including http://packages.debian.org/unstable/d2x-rebirth .

I understand the point you are trying to make, however the dxx-rebirth
project is a bad example. The license for that says that the software
is restricted to non-commercial, royalty or revenue free purposes,
etc. It actually sounds quite restrictive.

According to the free software definition page:

"A free program must be available for commercial use, commercial
development, and commercial distribution."

https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html

As such, it cannot be considered free software.

-Adam