Re: [libreplanet-discuss] RollApp: proof that we need to deprecate GPL f

From: Aaron Wolf
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] RollApp: proof that we need to deprecate GPL for AGPL for everything
Date: Sat, 12 Sep 2015 10:45:42 -0700

On 09/12/2015 10:38 AM, Yoni Rabkin wrote:
> Aaron Wolf <wolftune@riseup.net> writes:
>
>> On 09/12/2015 09:58 AM, Yoni Rabkin wrote:
>>>
>>> I don't agree with this; I don't think that everyone should be forced to
>>> further distribute all software
>>> (http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#GPLRequireSourcePostedPublic).
>>>
>>> But based on your stance that all culture should be modifiable, I at
>>> least understand (and I think also appreciate) where you are coming
>>> from.
>>>

>> I think you are confused. The AGPL and my own views do NOT say that
>> anyone is forced to distribute. Period.
>>
>> If you do *private* things with any AGPL or other cultural works or
>> programs, you can do anything you want at all, period.
>
> I guess that would depend on what you consider private use
> (http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#UnreleasedMods)

Yoni, the AGPL does not come into effect if a company uses software
*internally*. That is private. That is what it means. This
interpretation is legally solid enough that no judgment-call or "what
you consider" step is needed. If a company uses software internally for
their own internal purposes, no matter how far the distribution goes
within the company, that's private to the company. AGPL only comes into
play if the company publishes the software to a *public* website, i.e.
for access of those outside the company. That's what publishing is.

So, either a company chooses to distribute/publish or to keep things
internal. The AGPL never forces anyone to publish. Period. It just says
that *if* you publish, you must do so under the terms of the AGPL. It
sets terms on publication, not on your own or your own company's use.

--
Aaron Wolf
co-founder, Snowdrift.coop