[libreplanet-discuss] Code Museum

From: Michael and Wormy Kielstra
Subject: [libreplanet-discuss] Code Museum
Date: Mon, 8 Feb 2016 09:10:49 +0000

Hi all,

My name is Michael Kielstra, and I'm a hobbyist developer.  I'm currently working on an online 'code museum'.  The idea is to create an environment in which people who don't understand code can still appreciate its power, beauty, and importance, in much the same way that you don't need to speak Latin to appreciate a Medieval illuminated manuscript.  To that end, I'm looking for various pieces of code to put on it.  Obviously, open source will figure prominently and if you have any suggestions for what should go into the museum, bearing in mind that it is organized into 'exhibitions' (groups of exhibits) and then 'exhibits' (the actual code) like a bricks-and-mortar museum, please don't hesitate to tell me.  However, the main reason I'm posting here is that the main attraction of my museum, when it goes live, will be proprietary code.  I hope to be able to liase with people like Microsoft, Apple, and Google to get them to declassify some of their software.  I'm not looking for reams of critical source, just a little bit of header file or a function or two -- anything, really.  My problem is that as a relatively unknown hobbyist, I don't get noticed by these companies.  The FSF and LibrePlanet, on the other hand, have more than enough clout to get noticed, so if any of you would be willing to help me get this proprietary source, please do say.  Any suggestions, help, or ideas would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks very much.

Michael