Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Liberating Freesound.org

From: Bram de Jong
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Liberating Freesound.org
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2016 12:12:01 +0100

Hi Fabio,

( Apologies for sending with my smartelectronix email address while I
subscribed with my gmail address. Feel free to delete the other email
in moderation )

A less detailed answer this time, ...

I believe much of the confusion comes from the interpretation of the
word free. We are freesound as in GRATISsound rather than LIBREsound.
Freesound is a research project, with clear research-driven goals, and
so many of our policies reflect this.

We welcome pull requests and forks of Freesound and we love
improvement requests as you have already seen. We already changed the
LICENSES file to reflect Essentia's license and made a ticket to
remove the javascript filtering in the search. Using Piwik would
require us to host yet-another-service so this is not really an
option. We would like to run less services, not more. If you have a
hosted/free analytics solution that could help us, please let me know.

A few parts of freesound you have the most problems with (i.e.
login-wall, only 3 licenses, ...) have been the same for over 10
years. This setup has proven to be a winning combination for our most
active community members (i.e. uploaders!) and will not change, sorry.

greetings,

 - bram

--
http://www.freesound.org