[libreplanet-discuss] [Presentation] - Etienne Gonnu

From: Étienne GONNU
Subject: [libreplanet-discuss] [Presentation] - Etienne Gonnu
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2016 15:28:34 +0100

Hello,

I am Etienne Gonnu and I am in charge of public affairs for April, where
I just arrived in january 2016.
For those who might know her, I am succeeding Jeanne Tadeusz.

April is the main French advocacy association devoted to promoting and
protecting Free/Libre Software and has been working with the Free
Software Foundation since 1996.

For a brief presentation of April's activities in 2015:
https://www.april.org/en/april-releases-its-2015-activity-report

My technical knowledge is somewhat still limited, the field that brought
me to free software was the study of the law.
I have a master's degree in comparative law, with an emphasis on
anglo-american law and european law (Paris X -- Nanterre). And a
master's degree in digital law (Sorbonne).

Currently, most of my activities revolve around the French "Digital
Republic" bill. We are pushing for two amendments : legal priority to
Free Software in all public admnistrations, and the enactment that the
source code is a disclosable public document.

I strongly believe, in the same way that free software are crucial for
individual freedom and empowerment, that truly democratic State can only
rely on, and prosper with, Free Software. (I am a long time fan of
Lawrence Lessig's "Code is Law".)

Other than that I live in Paris with my girlfriend and our (devilish)
cat.

Looking forward to our exchanges :)

Best,

Etienne Gonnu