Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Copyfree

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Copyfree
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 2016 15:21:22 -0500

  > The point is that we acknowledge the position of the Copyfree folks.
  > They are not the proprietary people wanting to restrict things, they are
  > the hardcore anti-copyright people who reject the whole nature of
  > government-granted monopolies. They are anti-proprietary *and*
  > anti-copyleft out of principle.

They have identified the problem wrong.  The wrong in software is not
copyright.  The wrong is proprietary software.

Copyright is one of several methods used to make software proprietary.
But it is no better when they use other methods.

Copyright is also our only basis for shielding our software from being
made proprietary through any of those methods.

They are like pacifists who say that weapons are the problem, and
therefore advocate confronting a tyrant's invading armies only with
nonviolent protests.  Evil, no, but foolish, yes.

--
Dr Richard Stallman