Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Proposal for "FUD responses" wiki pages

From: Fabio Pesari
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Proposal for "FUD responses" wiki pages
Date: Mon, 29 Feb 2016 23:10:51 +0100

On 02/29/2016 05:33 PM, Aaron Wolf wrote:
> So, with this approach, we end the GPL / copyleft focus and the
> arguments then become about free software vs non-free broadly, and
> that's a further different argument to deal with.

Excellent post as usual, Aaron! If someone is still interested in
writing the wiki, your post should be taken into consideration.

I'd be curious to see someone go on an IRC channel or subreddit hostile
to the GPL, try this approach and report back (experiments don't count
as trolling, right?).

To be honest, I still expect some people to divert the discussion
somewhere else unrelated to copyleft. Fallacious arguments in my opinion
are the hardest to deal with, because they don't make sense but people
will buy into them.

I also think most people who attack the GPL are not selfish, they merely
are scared to admit that they are perpetuating something unethical. I
think everybody who knows how to program is smart enough to understand
that proprietary software can easily be abused, so it's easier to sweep
the issue under the rug and say "hey, it's how everyone else does it".