Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Buying the rights to proprietary programs to f

From: Thomas Harding
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Buying the rights to proprietary programs to free them
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2016 16:33:53 +0100

Sorry for top-posting.

I think cc-by and GPL are ways to spread your work (in case of orignal work).

If printing or packaging can enhance it, the factor to avoid in publisher contract clauses is "exclusivity" : you allow her to publish with profit for both (and additionnally can ask for publicity on "Free as freedom" issues, but you must ensure nothing will prevent you to publish elsewhere.

In that way publisher becomes simply a non-transitive recipient among others.

Note in case of technical books, there is almost no profit on hard copies whatever model is choosen (private copy / library).