[libreplanet-discuss] programming language package manager

From: Ali Abdul Ghani
Subject: [libreplanet-discuss] programming language package manager
Date: Sun, 3 Apr 2016 15:34:35 -0700

Most of us use Package manager to install Programs
in fully free gnu/linux distributions all the repositorys is free software
But wait
this seme not tru

A lot of programming languages have own Package Manager
Examples of those packages managers: npm (CSS/JavaScript), Bower
(Web), pip (Python), Ruby Gems (Ruby),
CPAN (Perl), Cargo (Rust), ...

These packages rely on special Repositorys
Nearly all of those Repositorys accept non-free licenses. At least,
most of those Repositorys show the license of the program, but it
doesn't
even warn you when installing a non-free package.

and The big problem is python and Perl is part from
fully free gnu/linux distributions
I think this mene the distributions is not fully free gnu/linux distributions

There are 2 solutions came in my head
1- remove this Package Manager from this programming languages from
free gnu/linux distributions

in fact If we're removing those package managers, it's going to make
installing some software much harder.
2. Create a separate repository. In this case, we hnede  manpower to
mirror all the free packages and remove only the non-free ones, else
we will
land in a situation similar to 1. we will also need a pretty Web
interface in order to attract users.

have fun and be free
ali miracle

--
Emacs is the ground. We run around and act silly on top of it, and
when we die, may our remnants grace its ongoing incrementation.