Re: [libreplanet-discuss] [GNU-linux-libre] programming language package

From: Ali Abdul Ghani
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] [GNU-linux-libre] programming language package manager
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2016 17:01:09 -0700

> I'm confused about why this is necessary. Why not check the license of a
> package before installing it? A programmer should be able to do this.
Since  we have  distros
 is endorsed by the FSF, mere warning is not enough.
One of the criteria for keeping the endorsed status is that
FSF-endorsed distros:

"...must not steer users towards obtaining any nonfree information for
practical use, or encourage them to do so. The system should have no
repositories
for nonfree software and no specific recipes for installation of
particular nonfree programs. Nor should the distribution refer to
third-party repositories
that are not committed to only including free software; even if they
only have free software today, that may not be true tomorrow. Programs
in the system
should not suggest installing nonfree plugins, documentation, and so on."

have fun and be free
ali miracle