Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Update on freeyourstuff.cc (content/user liber

From: al3xu5 / dotcommon
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Update on freeyourstuff.cc (content/user liberation)
Date: Wed, 11 May 2016 21:33:12 +0200

Il giorno mercoledì 11/05/2016 09:43:50 CEST
Alexander Berntsen <alexander@plaimi.net> ha scritto:

> On 10/05/16 20:08, al3xu5 / dotcommon wrote:
> > Please note that (if I have well understood) in some countries
> > (i.e. Italy) copyright laws do not admit releasing a work as
> > public domain unless after many years since their creation: so CC0
> > might produce the same effect that "all rights reserved"...
> Is this not the very problem that CC0 was made to solve?

But this does not imply it was solved in every circumstance. Following the
example, as far as I know, the Italian copyright laws states that the moral
rights are eternal and not transferable, and that necessarily there must be
someone who possesses the economic rights up to the expiration of the
"protection". So using CC0 might be problematic for an Italian author.
Better having a wider range of licenses to choose.

> > In my opinion, it would be better allowing the very full list of CC
> > licenses, including the NC clause: subtracting user's stuff posted
> > to any supposedly "social" service from their commercial
> > exploitation determines more freedom than assuring compatibility
> > with copyleft licenses...
> That's like saying that people should have the "freedom" to make
> proprietary software. That is not a freedom, it is a power over
> others[0].

Please excuse me but I really cannot understand how your argument should be
applied here.

> The free software movement is concerned with end-user freedoms.

And what about the freedom of those people who cannot pay for? Are they more
free avoiding the NC clause?

[ PS: To say IMHO the so-called four "freedoms" (which I believe extremely
important) are rather four legal "rights", being freedom/liberty something
regarding a scope more and more wider than software licenses). ]

Regards

--
al3xu5 / dotcommon
Say NO to copyright, patents, trademarks and any industrial design restrictions.