Re: [libreplanet-discuss] EOMA68 - libre software, libre hardware, and e

From: Jim Garrett
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] EOMA68 - libre software, libre hardware, and eco-friendly too!
Date: Fri, 1 Jul 2016 13:35:51 -0400

The potential availability of Free EOMA68 cards is terrific. I was astounded to learn about Intel ME and the AMD equivalent. Eventually we'll run out of old Intel and AMD chips, and will have to wean ourselves from them, unless we can persuade them to change.

I have two technical questions I'm sure people in this community will be able to answer. Obviously you wouldn't be speaking for the designer....

First, if one got the EOMA68 with the Mali GPU and installed Parabola on it, so that the GPU wouldn't be used, would the system be able to fall back on using the CPU, as in the Libre Tea card?

Second, what would be involved with making a laptop based on a EOMA68 but with a large-capacity hard drive (say 250GB or more)? Of course, revising the laptop chassis design to make space for the drive. What about connecting automatically when the EOMA68 card is slipped in, and supplying power? Any idea whether these would be easy or hard issues to manage?

Thanks,

Jim Garrett