[libreplanet-discuss] Tribute to Gnash developers

From: Jim Garrett
Subject: [libreplanet-discuss] Tribute to Gnash developers
Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2016 16:00:49 -0400

I feel compelled to give some recognition to Gnash developers for developing a Free substitute for something that no one seems to like, yet remains important for living in today's world.

I'm not (yet) running a fully Free system, as I'm using a distro that supports Adobe Flash download and install. I've signed up for a EOMA68-based laptop (https://www.crowdsupply.com/eoma68/micro-desktop) which won't run Flash, regardless of operating system, because Adobe won't provide it for this architecture (without an expensive contract). And I've been encouraging others to sign up too, but I wanted to be able to advise people on what a Flash-free life would entail. So I uninstalled the Flash browser plugin and installed the Gnash plugin.

Now, how to test Gnash? What are the must-have websites that use Flash? YouTube is critical, but no longer requires Flash. But if you have young children and you live in the U.S., pbskids.org has lots of Flash-based games, and it would be a hard sell to parents of small children that they can't use this web site.

My own kids have outgrown these games, but I dutifully signed on to a randomly-selected one, "Kart Kingdom". There I was, watching an animated go-cart and thinking, "I don't really want to be here, but I need to just test it out so I can tell people with kids that an EOMA68 system will work for them." Then it occurred to me, "As much as people complain about Flash, I bet some Gnash developers don't really want to be developing Flash either, but they're doing it because it's critical to enable people to use Free software. Also, it's not an easy thing to do."

So three cheers for Gnash developers, for doing tough, thankless work!

For the record, "Kart Kingdom" played the same with Flash and with Gnash. Also, after almost a week, I really haven't noticed the lack of Flash. And of course I no longer get Flash updates. I wish I had done this earlier.

Jim Garrett